Monday, February 3, 2014

Sugar Rush

Everyone tells you that getting older sucks, but how bad is it supposed to be? I have had a good bit of down time lately and have written even less than normal. Most of my down time is spent napping or rallying out of an impending nap to be able to share time with friends and family.

I have found my self freakishly tired, gaining and losing enormous amounts of weight, and shedding clumps of hair. At first, I just brushed it off and assumed I would get better, but my optimistic assumptions did not pan out.

After a few doctors visits and several pints of blood, I have been diagnosed as insulin resistant. Insulin resistance is a metabolic syndrome that is a precursor to diabetes, a disease that a thin healthy person normally does not get. I was pretty shocked and angered by the diagnosis, but hopeful that I will be able to reverse it because it is, after all, just a syndrome.

So, I have embarked on a new journey. One where I read labels, eat very few starches, and almost no sugar. I am fortunate that I have been living a healthy lifestyle and did not have to make very drastic changes, but I am still having a hard time building the diligent habits that I need to kick this thing.

Reading labels and refraining from drinks and party food is becoming more normal. Cooking has made its way back to the forefront of my afternoon. Extra flavor shots have left my coffee cup. I do feel better and notice a difference, but it is difficult. Its taking time to learn about my new nutritional restrictions and supplements, but I know it's for a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment