Wednesday, March 26, 2014

GCIR - 8 days away

This may be the worst thing that I've ever let my best friend talk me into.

"Let's run GCIR," she said. "It will be fun," she said. "I'll let you pick your own leg too!"

LIES! ALL LIES! Between working two jobs, relocating my boyfriend and sneauxmageddon, I haven't had much time for training. So, I am slightly out of shape. I mean, I can run four miles, but I have to run a 10 mile leg of GCIR … uphill. Did I mention I live in the lovely flatlands of Baton Rouge, Louisiana? How the heck do they expect me to run up some hill in Podunk, Alabama?

Then I realize how much fun a 2 day car ride with 6-12 sweaty runners is going to be. This doesn't seem fun anymore. This seems like the antithesis of fun. This is fun's high school frenemy that make's jokes at her expense. 

At least, the world's most supportive boyfriend signed up to run with me and he's in the same grumpy boat. Misery loves company, and it looks like we'll be hanging in there together.
I might need to print this out and post it in the van.
Six months out, I thought this was going to be an easy race. As it approaches, we've lost a team member at the last minute, had trouble finding passenger vans to carry us, and The Weather Channel projects rain the whole time. Now, I'm going to need to waterproof my iPhone, which I rely on for musical entertainment and an interval timer app. I'm trying not to be overwhelmed by it, but it is looming over me like overfed pigeon and I'm starting to get anxious. 

I honestly just cannot wait until the race is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment