Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mardi Gras 2014

Last week was Mardi Gras break y'all and that means a national week-long holiday for Louisiana! I had 9 days off in a row, which was (not so) lucky for me because my boyfriend needed to move halfway across the state and I was just the lady to help him. Except, not. You see, the day before my break, I had somehow managed to impale my right foot with a stick. Viva La Puncture Wounds!

Since I am not a girl who lets a flesh wound keep me down, I resolved to be a dutiful girlfriend and help my boy move and take care of icing and elevating my foot during downtime. So, I did the unthinkable! I drove from Baton Rouge to New Orleans on the Friday before Mardi Gras. Normally a one hour trip, it took took three and a half hours with the lovely seasonal traffic.

In the midst of packing someone bestowed this lovely little gift upon us.
Orpheuscapade Tickets!
For you out-of-towners, These are tickets to the amazing formal party that follows the Orpheus Parade in New Orleans. It's one of the hottest tickets in town and something that I've never been to before. We were so excited to get tickets, but due to the fact that we were in the middle of a large moving project the boy and I were lacking easy access to formal attire. However, with a little help from our friends we were able to pull a Tim Gunn and "Make it work!" Kev was able to borrow a tux from his friend, who wore it to the Endymion Extravaganza the previous night and I was able to hustle a dress from a friend. The only thing missing was a pair of fancy shoes for me, but I was stuck in sneakers since I hurt my foot. I looked a little silly in a formal gown and sneakers, but I didn't care.
At least they match my dress!
The party was in the New Orleans Convention Center, which is huge. The Center was decorated in traditional Mardi Gras purple, green, and gold with red accents because Orpheus is a "red" parade.
Ooh! Fancy!
After a fair bit of dancing and mingling, the room darkens, barricades go up, and the parade comes inside! The parade travels through the city, and the Convention Center is the last stop. The krewe members save a good portion of their throws for the crowd at the center. It truly is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
One of the first floats.
Orpheus was one of the first parades to use fiber optics to light their floats. The parade rolls at night, so this makes for an amazing display against the dark. After the parade rolled through, the floats were parked around the Convention Center and we were able to take an up close look at the amazing hand work.

In front of the Leviathan float.
I also ran into one of my awesome friends there. My friend Brandon is a 610 Stomper. The Stompers are one of the famous dance troupes that accompany the floats. This one is has a focus on "ordinary men with extraordinary moves."
Catching up!
 We truly had a blast at the ball! It was probably in the top ten most awesome nights of my life. However, I woke up the next day and it was back to moving. OH JOY (obvious sarcasm)!!! After two more days of moving, I had to go back to BR to do something very special. You see my boy is a diver, and I am not. So for Valentine's day, I promised to do scuba lessons for him and my first lesson was over the break.
Bathroom wetsuit selfie.
I survived! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Although I did find out that I have a freakishly tiny head that does not accommodate scuba masks well, so I am now on the hunt for the perfect mask. After a night of scuba, It was back to the Big Easy for more moving and then I came home and prepped for school on Monday. It was not much of a break and I've been running ninety-to-nothing since then, which is why it took me a little longer than planned to write this. I'm excited about getting in the pool and trying a new mask and to let you know the progress of my diving lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment