Thursday, April 23, 2015

Work It Hard

My roommate Ace was super inspired by my 263 mile GCIR relay. So inspired that she sent out a large email to CC'd to many people saying she wanted to run a half marathon and that I would do it with her. There were only two problems problem. I was not planning on running a half and I had over scheduled myself with no time to train. Sure, I had just run a twelfth of a 263 mile race, but that was April. This half marathon wasn't until December.

I resolved to find time to train and made at most three 5 mile training runs before the race. I knew I wasn't conditioned and I was dreading race day. On race day I suited up and decided to just buck up and do the darn thing. The first 6 miles were a piece of cake. The next seven wee sent directly from Hell. I could no longer run. I couldn't feel my legs, but I could definitely feel my feet and they were not happy. 

By the time I crossed the finish line, I was sore all over and walking like I just got off a horse. I was happy that I made it. I was surprised that I beat my last half time by 20 minutes. I walked like a grandma for about a week after the race. Not bad for almost no training. 
Smiling through the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment