Friday, October 16, 2015

First Semester of Grad School

The fact that I'm writing about my summer semester of grad school in October might be a good tell that I have been preoccupied with work and/or school.

The truth is that I thought grad school would be easier than it actually was. I had it in my mind that I'd go to class from 8am - 2pm, have time to run, and hang out with my friends in my abundant spare time. The reality was that I was at school from 7am - 5pm every day, would run home, do homework until midnight, and often times crash without having showered or eaten dinner.

I survived. I took 9 hours of graduate level classes this summer. I made a 98% or higher in all of my classes and almost lost my mind in the process. Had I not set up an organizational system for notes and began pre-working some of my classwork before the semester started, I would have been lost.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, then you know that I am an upper school math teacher. I love my job and could not see myself doing anything else, but as rewarding as teaching can be it can be equally exhausting. Summer is necessary after ten months of working extremely long days that can spill into nights and weekends depending on the social calendar of your school.

Imagine my surprise when my first day of grad school was scheduled just four short days after the last day for teachers. The only break I had would be a three day weekend for 4th of July, which I took to go fishing in Grand Isle with friends and family. The next break would come at the end of the semester just 4 short days before the first day of in-service for teachers. I slept most of those days as I had to stay up for the last two days of grad school to write a synthesis paper. Needless to say, I began the school year tired.

I am enrolled in one 3 hour class this fall. It's much more manageable, but it is still a great deal of work with my current class load. The important thing is that I am very organized (sometimes to a fault) and that is extremely helpful. I plan to post organizational tips some time in the next two weeks to help any of you struggling with how to stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment